Thursday 1 September 2011

Movie #chickflick (maybe)

So, today I saw this wonderful feel good movie called *One Day*, staring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. And it's kept my mood up all day.

It's an adaptation based on the novel of the same name, by David Nicholls.

I read the novel in June, I think I'm going to call it one of my top 5 for the year 2011.



It's a really simple story, 2 people, Emma and Dexter, met on their graduation day. They then made a deal to always check up with each other on that exact day, every year. So the story is chronicling their life through the years, of these two very different people, and very different directions they take.

It goes on for a good couple decades, I think, not sure now, all the sudden. I'm not going to tell you more of the storyline cause I'm just a massive walking spoiler alert. Either way I would *urge* you, to read the novel.

The movie, of course, switched somethings around a bit. But the script was written by none other than David Nicholls himself, so the flow was still wonderful.

I'm a soppy person, and this is one of them movies that will, most definitely, make a girl all teary eyed even she's not usually that soppy.

So it's safe to assume that I cried. SEVERAL TIMES.

But oh the brilliance, brillance of Anne Hathaway, the transformation of Emma was so stunning, so believable. Although I suspect, Emma wasn't supposed to be *this* stunning, but really, she was just a girl that lacked confidence, and grew out of it. So when she found herself, her confidence grew, and she was transformed into something spectacular.

I'm not really familar with Jim Sturgess, but he captured Dexter just the way I imagined him. Dexter is the type of person that always got what he wanted, had an easy life, killer looks, and just, stupid when it comes to expressing himself. And this came alife the minute I saw him on screen.

My favourite quote of the movie, as with the book, was something that Emma said to Dexter:

"I love you, Dex, so much. I just don't like you anymore. I'm sorry."

BTW, it's not a break up scene... not in the sense you'd expect, anyway.

And despite the tears, I couldn't help but feel good about the movie. It kept my mood up all day.

中文等明天 :)

 Creative Commons Licence
This work by meikoyim is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments: