Tuesday 23 August 2011

This is a rant, ignore.

I hate grammar. And I suck at it.

If you read any of my writing you'd realise I tend to rant on and on and on, without stopping, using way too many commas, and end up having an overly long sentence, like this one. It just formed a paragraph! = =


So yeah, I suck at grammar.

But I make (part of) my living as a part-time English teacher at one of those private language centres here in Taipei. I usually insist on teaching only conversational courses, since I don't want any high school students flunk their tests and then blame the institution for it.

It may cost me my job, after all.

For me languages are more for, conversing and communicating.

So I (try to) teach my students not only the textbook version of things, but also the real life version, if not necessarily the street version (actually, I tend to avoid the real street version).

The only grammar related 'things' I'd ask the students to actually (or, at least try to) memorise, are the irregular verbs, and the basics. You know, third person uses is, does, has, while first person uses am, do and have... blablabla, yada, yada.

So it freezes my mind when a student shows not knowing any of the basics, and joins my intermediate convo course classroom.

The school policy is they chose that they deem fit. If they (think) they can follow, they can take the course.

So I swallow my hesitation and teach on, best as I could.

Tonight the lady that happened to be the only student (a common scene during the summer holidays), has been in class twice already. Every single time she went on and on about how the last time she studied English was 20 years ago.

Fine, I get it, it's rusty.

So I explain and explain, and end up still having to correct her 10 times later that Grace is a 'she', and therefore does, is, or has something; while 'Jack and Jill' are two people, and thus 'they', who do, are or have something.

And every single time I explain, this lady goes on: "Oh but I forgot after 20 years, you see, I haven't studied English in 20 years. I forget, you know?"

"I've been busy watching Korean drama"

...Well, yes, but I just taught you the darn thing 20 seconds ago!!! For most likely, the 20th time! Now shut the feck up, stop finding excuses and actually start to learn it!

I nearly snapped. I mustered all my control, smiled, and told her to try again.

And then I heard the Korean drama excuse again. Sigh.
End of rant.

 Creative Commons Licence
This work by meikoyim is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments: