Monday 25 July 2011

Review: The Redbreast

The Redbreast
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This is the third book of the Harry Hole series, yet the first one available in English. I wonder whether it's different for the Chinese versions, but have yet to check out the local bookstore. (Just checked and the Chinese translations start from book 3 as well.)

Yet, maybe I'm stereotyping, but Nordic novels, always seem so cold. They shape the landscape into a field plagued with different shades of grey. They are heavy, even when the subject seems relatively light.

Which doesn't mean they are not enjoyable. Even though I entered a series in the third installment, after its principle characters have been well established and thus very difficult for a new reader to follow, I was drawn to the story nonetheless. The time jump method did pose some problem for my comprehension, however, especially once I got used to the pace the author stopped and stayed in the present.

The culprit wasn't difficult to deduce, not really. Which is a downside. Typically when reading mysteries of thrillers I tend to not try and figure out who-done-it, since most of the time I'd be wrong anyway. This time not only wasn't I wrong, I'd bet most of the readers'd be spot on; which is not a pleasant surprise.

I just can't wrap my head around translating a series from book 3 onwards and ignoring the ones that actually set the tone for the characters still. But maybe that's just me.



View all my reviews

No comments: